A friendly running club based in Cirencester!

Shin splints?

Home Forums Forum Shin splints?

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Wondered if you more seasoned runners had a “miracle cure” for shin splints? Ideally something which doesn’t involve not running…

Laura Butler

Hi Suzanne

Sadly there is no miracle cure….

Has the pain come on through running?

Are your running shoes a bit tired and in need of replacing?  It’s always good to visit a proper running shop like Run Swindon who will check out your form and make sure you’ve got the right shoes.  Squishy socks can help too.

Rest is best, but that doesn’t mean you have to stop exercising – biking or swimming will help keep you fit.

Ice those shins – it really does help!

Ibuprofen may help reduce the inflammation (but I personally don’t like taking pills so never bother with this).

When you start running again, keep the mileage low and run on soft surfaces rather than tarmac – the grass in the Abbey Grounds is PERFECT.  Go slow.  Avoid drills/efforts/fast running for a while.  You want to keep the impact as low as possible.

My personal cure-all for running injuries is a long soak in a hot bath with a glass of wine and a good book 😉

Other people will tell you that ice baths are good…  Those people are weird.

You could try compression socks or calf guards.   I like calf guards for long runs.  Some people wear compression gear for all their runs.  Try it and see.

The internet is a fantastic resource – use it!  (but don’t believe everything you read).

Basically, experiment and find what’s right for you 🙂

Best wishes for a speedy recovery

Laura

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you Laura for all the good advice.  Having only just got going it is really frustrating but hopefully just short term. I have a feeling it might be linked to starting the efforts sessions so  will ease off again. I am liking the bath wine and book option!! Thanks again!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.