A friendly running club based in Cirencester!

Ring O'Fire Anglesey Coastal Marathon

Home Forums Forum Ring O'Fire Anglesey Coastal Marathon

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tracey Pitts

Good luck to Laura Maddison who in preparation for next Aprils Marathon Des Sables is taking on this 135 mile coastal run this weekend (Is she Mad ???)
    This epic foot race is staged over three consecutive days (Start 1300hrs 30 August 2013 – 1 September 2013 ) and follows the rugged and spectacular Anglesey Coastal Path around the island. The extreme distance and variable terrain places Ring O’ Fire as one of the most extreme ultra marathons in the United Kingdom.

RSE Chair
    Keymaster

Just to say that Laura survived the first day (36 miles) finishing at 11pm, an hour before the cut off time. She had some issues with navigation in the dark and felt a bit knackered but hopefully will be fine to start today.

She was most impressed to see Kate and Wills turn up to start the race ‘Kate looked amazing!’.

Today is the biggy – 66 miles! Laura wanted to at least finish this stage if she could and then see how she felt before taking on day three, a walk in the park at 34 miles 🙂

RSE Chair
    Keymaster

…quick update – I’ve just heard from Laura; she decided to pull out about half way through today’s stage having covered about 65 miles over the course of the weekend.

She still sounds in good spirits and has learnt a lot from the race in terms of training needed and being able to test kit out. She was just getting slower and slower and felt she should stop before getting completely knackered and having to cope with navigating in the dark (cut off for today’s stage was 4am tomorrow morning!). A few others chose to pull out at the same point she did in addition to the 7 people that stopped yesterday. The starting field was around 100 this year – last year only 28 people finished from around 60 starters!

It’s not called the toughest UK multi day ultra for nothing, last year’s womens winner said she found it tougher than the MDS!

John Buck

Laura

Take the positives, you certainly didn’t take the easy option. Onwards and upwards now;-)

Laura Butler

The first thing that I did when I got back home from the race was have a lovely cold beer.
    The second was to sort out my race entry for next year…

This is an amazing event.  The Anglesey coastal path is gorgeous and challenging, although I couldn’t help thinking that I was inches away from a horrible death quite a few times, especially after the sun went down.  The organisers and other competitors were brilliant – I learnt so much from everyone.  The DNF comes down to a massive lack of calories, a general lack of training over longer distances and a weak mental attitude!

Friday’s stage was 35.7 miles (plus a little extra due to my crap night time navigation).

I made it to the halfway point on Saturday, which was 33.8 miles of 65.9 (plus a mile or so extra because I left my map at the first checkpoint and had to run back and get it – soul destroying).

Today I feel as if I could have done the final 33.4 mile stage – it was the long day in the middle that let me down.

So that’s 69.5 + miles over two days.

I’m definitely going back next year – it’s the best race I’ve ever done.  Or nearly done.  If anyone wants to join me you can sign up here.

It’s cheaper than Comrades 😉

Laura,

Massive respect to you for even trying this event!

70 miles of self navigating a coastal path is a great achievement. I know, I got lost in daylight, let alone the dark!

You really have done yourself proud.

MDS and ROF next year, that’s a challenge!

Have a long rest, you’ve earned it.

Laura Butler

Thanks Mr Chairman 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well done Laura, it takes true grit to know when to call it a day, which in no way should diminish your efforts. Glad you enjoyed it and will be back for more 🙂

Tracey Pitts

Well done Laura we girls are very proud of you ( but still think your mad !!!). What next ? …….
    xx

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.