A friendly running club based in Cirencester!

Marathon des Sables 2014

Home Forums Forum Marathon des Sables 2014

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Laura Butler

As I’m sure most of you know by now, I will be taking part in the 29th edition of the Marathon des Sables this year. The race kicks off on the 6th April and concludes on the 12th. It’s a self-sufficient ultra race run across about 150 miles of the ‘challenging’ landscape of the Moroccan Sahara, with competitors carrying everything they need for the week (excluding water which is handed out at regular intervals, and shelter). I’m anticipating a rucksack weight of about 9kg. Last year temperatures hit a staggering 54 degrees!

This is an entirely self-funded adventure (and I’m now officially broke) but I am hoping to use the challenge as a way of raising funds for Prospect Hospice in Swindon. If anyone would like to sponsor me then you can do so online via my Just Giving Page, or I am happy to accept hard cash! 
    http://www.justgiving.com/Sumoeddie
    Competitors can send one email each day during the event, so I will get Andrew to post updates here. Also, competitors can receive emails during the event – you just need to include my surname (Maddison) and race number (706) in the header. I need to check the address to send these to and I will post details here later.

Thank you for your support

Laura (aka ‘Sumoeddie’) x

• This topic was modified 10 years, 2 months ago by Laura Butler.
    Laura Butler

A great big thank you to everyone who’s sponsored me so far – and to those who haven’t, it’s not too late!

I’m heading over to Gatwick later today and flying to Morocco at lunchtime tomorrow. We then get bussed straight out to the first bivouac in the desert, probably arriving after dark which will be interesting.  Kit and medical checks will take place on Saturday and the race begins on Sunday morning with a stage that includes 15 km of sand dunes.

You can email me in the desert and follow my progress :-

Once the race starts (possibly 24 hours prior to this), a link will appear on the organisers’ website, entitled ‘Write to a competitor’ – click on this and follow the instructions given to send the email. You will need the competitor’s running or DOS number – mine is 706.  Please send plain text only – anything else will be rejected – and please ensure you use the facility provided.  These emails are printed out daily and distributed around the bivouac each evening.

It should be possible to see how any competitor is doing via the competitor list – this updates from checkpoint to checkpoint on each stage HOWEVER it has not been 100% reliable in previous years. There will also be a webcam at the finish of each stage, so you can see competitors crossing the line.  (I’ll be wearing a bright red cap, Union Jack buff, green Compress Sport calf guards, grey top, black shorts).

You will find more details of how to follow your loved ones HERE – but PLEASE NOTE, these facilities will not go live before Saturday 5 April, and possibly not until the race starts at 8am Sunday!

Competitors can send one email per day, plain text only, and to one recipient only.

And finally…

Please send lots of positive thoughts my way over the next week and a bit (the competitive race finishes on the 11th April, but there’s a short charity stage on Saturday 12th).

Thanks for all your support
    Laura x

Laura Butler

Just remembered that Ian Corless (Mr Talk Ultra) is following the race this year.

He’s written a preview which you can read here, and will be putting updates on his blog here.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.