A friendly running club based in Cirencester!

Ever fancied an Ultra Marathon?

Home Forums Forum Ever fancied an Ultra Marathon?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Henry Church

If you had ever considered entering an Ultra then the Marlborough 33 is one that I would thoroughly recommend (it was my first).

Organised by Marlborough Running club this event, which takes place on 10 May, is a 32.5 mile race from Marlborugh College, out to Devizes and back to Marlborough (on a different route which takes in Avebury Circle).  The event is very well organised (it gets great reviews), has sufficient checkpoints that you don’t need to carry loads of stuff  and runs across some stunning scenery – all for only £22.

If you are interested but want to know more then either reply to this post or catch me at training (I won’t be there this Monday – 27 Jan)

This link takes you to the event web page – http://www.marlboroughrunningclub.co.uk/downchallenge.shtm

Henry Church

Evidently not as I was the one RSE entry at this well organised event!

My 2nd time and this year it was hard work, it being very windy and very slippery under foot.  The stretches of ankle deep mud (particularly over the first 5 miles) and howling headwind for miles 5 to 12 (whilst on top of the Downs) sapped energy like you wouldn’t believe

I got round in 5hrs 40 – 20mins slower than last time – but that reflects (I hope) the conditions and my lack of training (due to niggling but persistent injuries).  The fact that I was 33rd out c150 starters means that I wasn’t the only one who found it hard work – but does suggest that an average of 20miles per week over the last 8 weeks with my long run topping out at 11.5 miles isn’t enough!

As soon as I stop hobbling around I’ll be back

Laura Butler

Well done Henry – sounds like you did really well considering the conditions.

Maybe next year…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.